Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Narration/ speech | Advancd English Grammar| Narration and its classification.

Ø  What is called Narration?
Ø  The statement of a speaker is called Narration.

Example:  Nazrul  said to  Ninja, ”You  are very polite”.

Ø Kinds  of  Narration:

There  are two types of Narration.
1.        Direct narration.
2.       Indirect narration.

Ø  When a speaker  directly expresses his/her word/statement  is called direct narration.

Example:

Kamal said to Ranu, “I  am very busy now.”

ü  In the above sentence the speaker has directly expressed his/her statement.

Three ways of identifying /knowing direct speech.
v  Direct speech will be into inverted comma.
v  There will be  a comma after reported speech.
v  The first letter of direct speech will be in capital letter.
In brief, direct speech is in inverted comma.

There are two parts of a direct speech.

 1. Reporting verb.
  2. Reported speech.

Example:

The teacher said to the student, “What was your future plan”?
ü ‘The teacher said to the student’ is reporting verb and ‘What is your future plan’ is reported speech.
When any person tells the statement of a speaker is called indirect speech.
In an indirect speech the statement of a speaker is expressed indirectly.
We have to change person at the time of changing direct to indirect:

1st person ----- 1st place
2nd  person ----- 2nd  place
3rd person ----- no change.
List of person change.

v 1st person
I-----------me--------my
We--------us---------our

v 2nd person
You-----------you--------your
v 3rd person

He-----------him--------his
She -------her----------her
They------them------their
It---------its----------its.

We have to change tense at the time of changing direct to indirect :

Am, is, are----- was, were
Was, were------ had been
Have, Has----------Had
Had----------Had been

Present  indefinite---------------Past Indefinite
Past Indefinite------------------Past Perfect.

Also some words change:

Today ------------------ that day
Tonight ------------------that night
Last day------------the previous day
Yesterday ----------- the previous day
Tomorrow -----------------the next day
This-----------------------that
These-----------------those
Now ------------------then
Here ----------------------there
Hence----------------thence
Hither -----------------thither
Ago --------------------before
Thus-------------------so
Come ----------------go
Next day --------------the following day.

Ø We have to change narration according to sentences.

1.      Assertive sentence
2.      Interrogative sentence
3.      Imperative sentence
4.      Optative sentence
5.      Exclamatory sentence

Narration change of assertive sentence:

                                i.            Said-----------------------told
                              ii.            Add conjunction  that instead of inverted comma.
                            iii.            After conjunction  , subject + verb + ext.
                            iv.            We also have to change tense and person.

Example:

The poor man said to me, “I am very hungry.”
= The poor man told me that he was very hungry.
ü ‘The poor man’ is unchanged , said will be told, conjunction that , I will be changed according to the rules first person first place. Present tense will be past tense.

·        Reporting verb will be unchanged if there is no object after reporting verb.
Example:
**My friend said, “I am in danger”
=My friend said that he was in danger.
**He said, “You did the work.”
=He said that I had done the work.

·        Tense will not be changed in the perpetual truth sentences.
Example:

**The teacher said to me, “Honesty is the best policy.
= The teacher told me that honesty is the best policy.
Tense will not be changed if the reporting verb  is in present.
Example:

**Raza says, “I am very happy.”
= Raza says that he is very happy.

We of the direct speech will not be changed if we means the nation or the both the speaker and the listener.
Example:

**The Imam said to me, “We are mortal.”
= The Imam told me that we are mortal.

Narration change of Interrogative Sentence:

        i.            Said------------------- asked
      ii.            Add conjunction  if/wheather instead of inverted comma.
    iii.            If the sentence starts with WH-question , that wh word will be conjunction.
    iv.            After conjunction,  subject + verb + ext.
      v.            We also have to change tense and person.
    vi.            If there is do/does/did before subject we have to rule out that.


Example:

**The teacher said to me, “Have you completed your home work?”
= The teacher asked me if I had completed my home work.
**He said to me, “Did you go there?”
= He asked me if I had gone there.
In the above sentence did will be ruled out and by this we can recognize that it is in past indefinite tense. We have to change it in past perfect tense.
**My father said to me, “What do you want?’
=My father asked me what I wanted.
The above sentence has started with wh word . so, wh word will be conjunction.


Narration change of Imperative Sentence:

                    i.            Said ----------ordered
Said -----------advised
Said ----------requested
Said ----------forbade
Said ----------told/asked

                  ii.            Add conjunction  to  instead of inverted comma.
                iii.            After conjunction , verb1 + ext.
                iv.            We also have to change tense and person.
                  v.            If the sentence is negative , linker will be not to.
                vi.            Please will be run out if starts with please.

Example:

**Father said to me, “Memorize it now.”
=father ordered me to memorize it then.
**The teacher said to the student, “Always speak the truth.”
The teacher advised the student to always speak the truth.
**He said to me , “Please, do it now.”
= He requested me to do it then.
**Mother said to me, “Don`t run in the sun.”
=Mother forbade me to run in the sun.
We need not use ‘not to’ if we use forbade.

If there is no clear sense of order and advice , we have to use told or asked instead of said.
Example:

** My friend said to me, “Give me a pen.”
=My friend told me to give him a pen.

Imperative sentence beginning with Let

If there is singular after let—
        i.            Said-----------told
      ii.            Add conjunction  that  instead of inverted comma.
    iii.            That + Subject+ might/might be allowed to + verb1 + ext.
    iv.            We also have to change tense and person.

Example:

**Robiul said to me, “Let me learn English.”
=Robiul told me that he might learn English.

If there is plural after let—

        i.            Said----------proposed/suggested
      ii.            Add conjunction  that  instead of inverted comma.
    iii.            That + Subject+ should + verb1 + ext.
    iv.            We also have to change tense and person.
      v.            Subject will be we/they.

Example:

**Razu said to me, “Let us go out for a walk.”
=Razu proposed to me that we should go out for a walk.

Narration change of Optative Sentence:

        i.            Said------------------- prayed/wished [If Allah , then prayed]
      ii.            Add conjunction  that  instead of inverted comma.
    iii.            After conjunction,  subject + might+ verb1 + ext.
    iv.            We also have to change tense and person.

Example:

**Teacher said to me, “May Allah save you.”
=The teacher wished that Allah might save me.
You have to write for if you want to write object.

Example:

** Father said to me, “May you gain success in life.”
=Father wished me that I might gain success in life.
If the sentence starts with long, long will be sit at last.

Example:

** He said, “Long live our president.”
=He wished that their president might live long.

Narration change of  Exclamatory Sentence:

        i.            Said------------------- exclaimed with joy/ sorrow/wonder
      ii.            Add conjunction  that  instead of inverted comma.
    iii.            After conjunction,  subject +  verb + ext.
    iv.            We also have to change tense and person.
      v.            If the sentence starts with what /how,very will be before adjective and great will be  before noun.
**He said, “How costly the mobile is!”
=He wondered that the mobile was very costly.

**Robul said, “How beautiful the bird is!”
=Robul exclaimed with joy that the bird was very beautiful.
**He said, “Alas! I am undone.”
He exclaimed with sorrow that he was very undone.

Offer your prayer timely.
Keep eyes in my blog to get new posts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment